|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Gayton Thorpe|
The oldest parts of this round-towered church date to the Saxon or Norman period. The rest was built in the 14th and 15th centuries. Fragments of stained glass have been found in the churchyard although there is no stained glass in the present building.
|Grid Reference:||TF 7450 1852|
|Parish:||GAYTON THORPE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|GAYTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1975. Found in molehill. 10m west of tower.
Fragment of stained glass (no stained glass in church).
A. Rogerson (NAU), 1975.
1978. Edge of path west of tower.
One medieval unglazed sherd.
A. Rogerson (NAU), 20 August 1978.
July 1981. Visit. St Mary's Church, Gayton Thorpe.
Saxon and Norman round tower; 14th to 15th century.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 July 1981.
22 July 1993. NLA air photography.
M. Brennand (NLA), 8 February 2001.
The tower includes "silver carr" stone, as used at Castle Rising, Brancaster, Reedham etc, and quarried in the Castle Rising area. See 56217.
D. Gurney (HES), 31 October 2011.
Visit with DAC. June 2015
Round western tower with large blocks of quartzite (silver Carr in previous entry) possibly re-used from nearby Roman villa (HER 3743) see 'Britannia', XXXIV 2003 for stone. Three carstone ashlar quoins define the original width of nave widened to the north. Tower is an addition to an existing west wall. Fine tower arch with chamfered imposts partly covered by masonry of tower suggesting that, although not exactly contemporary, provision for it was made from the first. Ashlar dressings to jambs, rubble arch. At first floor triangular-headed opening which led into the roof space of the original lower nave. Very large double-splayed window with ashlar frame. Gable of original nave visible. Present bell stage with double openings within chevron-decorated containing arches. This is probably an addition when nave walls heightened.
Early bell with inscription kept in vestry.
S. Heywood (HES), 12 June 2015
- CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STAINED GLASS (WINDOW) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TF 7418H - J. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Map: J. R. P.. Plan. Gayton Thorpe St Mary's church.. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Photograph of St Mary's Church, Gayton Thorpe. 18 July. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 353-354. |
|---||Leaflet: The Church of St Mary, Gayton Thorpe.. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. Grants given to 18 county churches. 17 February. |
|---||Leaflet: Stilgoe, E.M.. 1993. The Church of St Mary, Gayton Thorpe. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Gayton. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1981. Building Report. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...