Record Details

NHER Number:10433
Type of record:Building
Name:Polkey's or Reedham Hall Drainage Mill


Polkey's Mill is also known as Reedham Marshes South Mill or Reedham Hall Level Mill. A brick drainage mill modernised in the late 19th century, possibly adapted from an earlier mill marked on Faden's map of 1797, on a remote stretch of the River Yare. The mill has an unusual feature in that the sails of the mill turn clockwise. All the buildings and machinery were restored 2002-5. The mill is owned by Norfolk County Council and managed by the Norfolk Windmills Trust.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4442 0349
Map Sheet:TG40SW

Full description

Drainage mill marked on (S1).

Tall brick mill with skeletons of sails and cap machinery remaining.
E. Rose (NAU) 22 September 1976

Metal boat-shaped cap added for protection 1985 by NCC.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 May 1985.

Remains of wooden cap frame and fanstage; cast iron windshaft and brakewheel. Wooden upright drive shaft and scoop wheel drive. Information from Listing Grade II 1985 (S2).
Newspaper photograph (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 11 December 1985.

Listed Building upgrade to II* June 2001.

March 2003.
Restoration begun.
See (S5).
E. Rose (NLA), 28 March 2003.

Rebuilt by William T England whose name is cast into one of the scoop wheel bearings (S9).
E. Rose (NLA), 29 November 2005.

For a full description see (S11).
D. Gurney (NLA), 18 June 2008.

In addition there was within the group of buildings a brick wheel pit, intended for use with a mobile engine. This was destroyed during flood defence works in 2005 according to (S7).
(S8) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 July 2005.

Monument Types

  • DRAINAGE MILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1860 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG 4403A, B, E - M, S - U.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Publication: Hutchinson, S.. 2003. Berney Arms Remembered.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Power behind the Broads. 1 July.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Fiche: Exists.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF1185.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051425.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Monsters of the marshes are fired up. 1 February.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985. [Photograph of Reedham Hall Drainage Mill]. 23 May.
<S5>Article in Serial: Ward, A.. 2000. Smoke Drifting Over the Reeds.. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Journal. Vol 6, No 5. p 88ff.
<S6>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2003. Work to restore mill. 27 March.
<S7>Article in Serial: Allard, P.. 2004. Millwright.. Yarmouth Archaeology.
<S8>*Verbal Communication: Bouwens, D. (NCC). 2005. [unknown].
<S9>Photograph: Unknown. Unknown. [unknown].
<S10>Article in Serial: Allard, P.. 2005. William T. England, Yarmouth Millwright. Yarmouth Archaeology. p 22.
<S11>Publication: Yardy, A. (NCC). 2008. Mills of the Halvergate Marshes: Reedham Marshes & Ashtree Farm..

Related records

MNO6338Related to: Polkey's Mill (drainage windmill) 75m north-east of Seven Mile House REEDHAM (Revoked)
61427Related to: Reedham Marsh Steam Engine House (Building)
61430Related to: Thaxter's Marsh House (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service