Record Details

NHER Number:10409
Type of record:Building
Name:Runham Swim Drainage Mill


A mid 19th century brick drainage mill. The mill contains some work by W.T. England, a millwright from Great Yarmouth, and was restored in the 1980s.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4700 0998
Map Sheet:TG40NE

Full description

Brick tower remains; cap gone but stocks, brake wheel and fantail supports remain.
Seen by E. Rose (NAU) 24 April 1979.

See (S1).
Marked on (S2).

Under restoration 1983.
Built by W.T. England of Great Yarmouth (so presumably rebuilt since 1836).
Internal scoop wheel was sold for scrap in about 1940.
Cap and fantail now restored, original shaft and wallower present, brake wheel to be replaced.
Informant [1], millwright.
E. Rose (NAU) 10 September 1984.

Newspaper cuttings (S3) in file.

(S4) as large rolled plans.
E. Rose (NLA)

The fan star bears the inscription W.T England, Millwright, Yarmouth 1896, see (S5).
E. Rose (NLA), 29 November 2005.

Monument Types

  • DRAINAGE MILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1830 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050974.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG4709/J - M.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1999. TG 4509M - N.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 651.
---Photograph: Runham Swim, Drainage Mill. Print.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---*Rolled Plan: Large Plan Exists.
<S1>Monograph: Smith, A.. 1978. Drainage Windmills of the Norfolk Marshes.. No 53.
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983-1985. [Articles on the restoration of Runham Swim Drainage Mill].
<S4>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S5>Article in Serial: Allard, P.. 2005. William T. England, Yarmouth Millwright. Yarmouth Archaeology. p 23.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service