|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Edmund's Church, South Burlingham|
A medieval parish church, dating back to at least the 12th century. The church has an excellent example of a 15th century pulpit with original medieval paint, and 14th century wall paintings depicting St Christopher and the murder of St Thomas Becket.
Images - none
September 1962. Listed, Grade I.
Listing Description excerpt:
"Parish church. Some 12th-century work, but fabric mainly 14th century and 15th century, restored in 1872. Flint with limestone dressings and brick gable to porch; thatched roof continuous over nave and chancel. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch. Square 15th-century west tower with diagonal staged buttresses...Polygonal stair turret at north west corner. South porch with red brick gable, parapeted with tumbling in...Norman north and south doorways...Single-framed scissor braced nave roof with ashlar pieces to walls. 15th-century nave roof with roll-moulded arch-braced principals and embattled cornice. Square-headed screen with remains of painted panels in base; upper section has ogee arches with panel tracery above. Fine 15th-century pulpit...Early 17th-century backboard and octagonal tester. On the north nave wall a faint 14th-century painting of St. Christopher. Octagonal 13th-century font with open trussed ogee cover. Good set of nave benches with poppyhead ends and carvings of animals and figures on arm rests...17th-century communion rail with turned posts and balusters. Fresco on chancel south wall depicting the martyrdom of Becket. Choir stalls with head carvings on poppyhead ends."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
See also (S2).
P. Watkins (HES), 22 February 2022.
The church was rethatched in 1996, see (S3).
Sarah Spooner (NLA), August 2005.
This is one of the few churches that may have had altar rails before the 1640s. See (S4).
E. Rose (NLA), 29 September 2005.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in Serial: Morant, A. W. 1859. Mural painting discovered at Burlingham, St. Edmund, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol V pp 185-187. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Leaflet: 1979. The History of St. Edmund's Church South Burlingham.. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Mary carries on her family tradition of helping church. 20 March. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1152884. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 420-421. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Raising the roof…. 9 April. |
|<S4>||Monograph: Cooper, T.. 2001. The journal of William Dowsing: iconoclasm in East Anglia during the English Civil War.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...