Record Details

NHER Number:10212
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, Bedingham


A 13th century round-towered church with a 14th century south chapel and a 15th century clerestory and belfry. A previous church, St Mary's, is thought to have stood in the grounds of the existing building, although no visible trace remains. The church has medieval bells, and an organ (originally built for a private house) that was installed in 1884. The gateway to the church was narrowed in the 18th century to stop the Lord of the Manor from driving his coach through it.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 284 933
Map Sheet:TM29SE

Full description

Round tower, 13th century church of at least two periods, 14th century south chapel, 15th century clerestory and belfry (see (S1)) - not yet visited. 15th century bellframe, says vicar.
(S2) notes a St Mary's church in the same churchyard in the sixth year of the reign of Richard I. [1] in church guidebook claims that foundations remain.
Churchyard survey in file - east churchyard wall of Tudor brick.
Gateway narrowed in 18th century to stop the lord of the manor driving his coach in.
[2] notes bequests for a bell 1513, for repairs 1518 - 1520, for a bench 1530.
Organ was made for private house 1864, rebuilt 1869, installed in church 1884.
The bellframe is derelict but the bells are medieval, one made at Redgrave informant [3] who adds (1993) that the ring is of five for changeringing, and in 19th century a complete peal of 6000 changes was rung, an unequalled feat. Three of them are by John Aleyn, John Brend I and John Goldsmith; the treble was recast in 1842 when part of the frame was dismantled. There are round headed windows in the tower, and brick pilasters and arches - the date of the latter not stated. See (S5).
E. Rose (NLA) 4 October 1993.

Pre 1982. Found in digging grave of Brigit Reid 1.8m (6 feet) from northwest corner of yard.
Thetford-type rim. Sketch NCM.
W. Milligan (NCM) 5 November 1982.

Newspaper article in file (S3).
Appropriate section from ref (S4) in file.

See documentary evidence for both churches in file.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • SITE (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SITE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • Xbell frame (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM2893A-D.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TM 2893E, J.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 29 SE 10.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 199-200.
---Unpublished Document: December. 2009. Report on St Andrew's Church, Bedingham for the WEA Norwich Branch Practical Church Exploration Course..
---Monograph: Hart, S.. 2010. Medieval Church Window Tracery in England. pp 22, 50.
---Leaflet: Roy Tricker. 1977. The Hempnall Group, A Historical Guide..
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. pp 84-85.
<S2>Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Volume Unknown.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985. Church organ almost ready for use. 21 December.
<S4>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 139; p 53.
<S5>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050605.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service