Record Details

NHER Number:10200
Type of record:Building
Name:Site of Woodton Hall (1694+)


This is the site of the 1694 Woodton Hall, with the earlier Woodton Hall standing elsewhere (see NHER 10157 and 10207). It was built in the ‘Dutch style' but was sadly demolished in 1841. All that remains of the Hall is a coach house, now known as Woodton Park House (NHER 45623), and part of a low garden wall.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 2849 9475
Map Sheet:TM29SE

Full description

Built in 1694 in 'Dutch style', the hall formerly stood on site NHER 10157.
However the RCHME survey says that the old hall stood 'beside' this hall, see NHER 10207, but this may be a generalisation. Description in survey, anonymous, lodged at RCHME (copy in file); main rooms on ground floor with grand staircase to corridor in front of principal bedrooms, and attics above. (S1) and (S2) say destroyed 1839, but a print in NCM Bolingbroke Collection is dated 1842, showing a Queen Anne style house. RCHME report gives date of demolition as 1841, which is probably correct from documentary details given. ((S3) had noted the hall in about 1730).
Only a coach house and a garden wall remained in 1975.
E. Rose (NAU) 27 July 1981.

South Norfolk District Council report that the 'coach house' mentioned is in fact a former stable block now partly converted to two cottages. It has Dutch gables. They date it as 'probably 18th century' but it sounds as if it also dates from 1694.
E. Rose (NLA) 30 June 1995.

Listed 1996 Grade II - this indeed confirms the date as 1694, converted to cottages in 19th century; remaining stable to left. Red brick, some black headers plinth. Stable retains beam with notched stops and part original roof; remainder has run-out beams, 19th century roof, fireplaces, stairs.
E. Rose (NLA) 28 March 1996.

See copy of 1842 print and map extracts in file.
Also early 19th century plans of hall.
The standing building is thought to be part of the 'detached offices' to the east of the hall, described in the 1839
sale particulars.
D. Gurney (NLA) 4 February 1997.

See detailed report in file on the stable block, walled garden and other outbuildings, which comes to the conclusion that one end of the stables was built in 1694 or thereabouts against an existing building, the remainder of which was rebuilt immediately upon that end's completion.
E. Rose (NLA) 6 February 1997.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1694 AD to 1841 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TM 2894V - W, Y - AB.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Woodton.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. p 208.
<S2>Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. p 208.
<S3>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1740.

Related records

10157Related to: Possible site of Woodton Hall (pre 1694) (Monument)
10207Related to: Possible site of Woodton Hall (pre 1694) or the Hermitage Garden (Monument)
10156Related to: Possible site of Woodton Hall (pre 1694) or the Hermitage Garden (Monument)
45623Related to: Woodton Park House, Church Road (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service