|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval watermill and miller's house|
The miller's house here has two bays and two storeys. It is built from red brick and dates to around 1800. A building with similar brickwork and surrounded by water channels was presumably the mill.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2259 9936|
|Parish:||SHOTESHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
3 September 1980. Site visit by E. Rose (NAU).
Watermill. Mill here marked on (S1).
Two bay, two storey red brick millers house of around 1800.
Building of similar brickwork surrounded by water channels was presumably the mill.
E. Rose (NAU) 3 September 1980.
House alone listed 1983.
15 October 1993. NLA aerial photography (S2).
Site can be determined, but is obscured by trees.
H. Clare (NLA) 21 February 2001.
However source  states that mill was demolished in 1949/50 and stood north of the house, at the bridge.
E. Rose (NLA) 11 March 2003.
Photo in secondary file for NHER 9966.
It was reported in the EDP Febuary 1949 (S3) that a private individual planned on spending a considerable ammount of money rennovating the mill to save it from demolition. However from other sources it is evident that this never occurred.
NIAS records (S4)
W. Arnold HES 10/01/11
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM2299 A,B. |
|---||Photograph: Funnell, B.. [unknown]. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TM 2299H. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. [unknown]. |
|<S4>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
Related records - none
Find out more...