|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible Bronze Age barrow and possible undated gallows site|
A source from 1575 states that the road to the north of this area was called 'Galgrym Road'. The word 'Galgrym' is thought to derive from a word for 'gallows', and this may suggest that there was once a gallows in this area. Interestingly, it is also recorded that in 1809 a mound in this area called 'Old Groggams' was levelled, and it may be that this was a gallows site. Alternatively, the mound described could have been a Bronze Age round barrow. There has been some confusion between this site and the nearby Nunmete Hill (NHER 10044).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1583 9409|
|Parish:||TACOLNESTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1809. During enclosure, mound called Old Groggams standing in open field by four cross ways carted away.
See (S1) (called Forncett) and (S2). Neither checked.
 states that mound is located on grid reference in a survey of 1575, which calls the road to north Galgrym Road (does this indicate a gallows site?). (S2) believes this was the same as Nunmete Hill (NHER 10044). Information from E.B. Green (NCM).
No trace of mound in stubble field.
A.J. Lawson (NAU), 16 November 1979.
See article by  in (S4) quoting (S2), showing that (S2) only assumed the two mounds were the same because of a similar legend attached to both about the finding of coins.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 October 1985.
- GALLOWS (Unknown date)
- SITE (placename, Unknown date)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Forncett. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Clarke, W. G. 1913. Norfolk Barrows. The Antiquary. Vol XLIX pp 416-423. pp 416-417. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Jessop, A.. 1896. Random Roaming and other papers.. pp 111, 115-118. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Lawson, A. J., Martin, E., Priddy, D. and Taylor, A. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. East Anglian Archaeology. No 12. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: Tolhurst, M. 1985. Treasure Hunting in Forncett 1465. Norfolk Research Committee Bulletin. Series 2 No 34 pp 12-14. |
Related records - none
Find out more...