|Type of record:||Building|
Lexham Hall was first built in 1660 and was remodelled twice in the 18th century. It was used by the Royal Army Service Corps in World War Two and afterwards restored. It burnt down in 1950. It was restored again in 1972. Each facade has seven bays and two storeys. Much of the building now dates to the 1946 to 1950 restoration. The fireplaces were brought in from elsewhere.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8662 1717|
|Parish:||LEXHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
7 April 1978. Visit.
Early 18th century.
Occupied by Royal Army Service Corps 1939 to 1945 and restored afterwards, but burnt down 1950 and not restored until 1972. It is now difficult to tell how much is original. Each facade seven bays two storeys, with recessed portions and projections. A large amount (including the Dutch gable) is of the 1946 to 1950 restoration. Fireplaces were brought in from elsewhere. Stables with turret clock.
E. Rose (NAU), 7 April 1978.
(S1) and (S2) state hall first built around 1630, remodelled first quarter of 18th century and in 1770. Enlarged by Wyattville in late 19th century (S1) says early 19th century which is more probable.
E. Rose (NAU).
Beneath the present building is a barrel vaulted cellar corridor having bricks with horizontal skintlings; such bricks seem also to occur in the external walls where heavy paint obscures them; but both could be fronm 1770 remodelling.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 March 2001.
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF8617 C,F-R,T-U. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF8617/X, Y. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TF8617/AA - AH. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Building on the past. 12 November. |
|---||Newspaper Article: The Daily Telegraph. 1992. [Article on William Foster]. 20 January. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 321-322. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. A new lease of life for estate's farm buildings. 4 February. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: AT 34-5. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. [unknown]. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk.. |
|44221||Related to: Former dairy or venison house in Lexham Hall Park (Building)|
|30469||Related to: Lexham Hall Park (Monument)|
Find out more...