Record Details

NHER Number:13780
Type of record:Building
Name:United Reformed Church

Summary

This red brick United Reform Church was originally built around 1830 as a Congregational chapel. The stone window surrounds are in 'Tudor-Gothic' style. In the churchyard is a gravestone dated 1774. This was moved out of Norwich Cathedral yard to Old Moor Chapel because the inscription was considered too evangelical. When that chapel closed in 1965 the stone was moved here.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0457 1108
Map Sheet:TG01SW
Parish:MATTISHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

1 February 1978. Visit.
Previously Congregational.
Red brick, stepped gables including one on porch.
Windows of stone in 'Tudor-Gothic' style. Around 1830?
Against west front is very good gravestone of 1774, J. Glover, originally in Norwich Cathedral but thrown out because the inscription was considered too evangelical.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 June 1978.

The tombstone was originally at the Old Moor Chapel, half mile west, still marked on (S1), and moved here when that was closed 1965.
Information from Breckland District Council.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 October 1987.

Congregational Chapel, built in 1857 originally as a lecture hall connected to NHER 49941. The interior was refitted in the late 19th century.
See (S2) for further details, including of the relocated monuments.
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 25 October 2012.

Monument Types

  • CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1857 AD to 2100 AD)
  • NONCONFORMIST CEMETERY (19th Century to 21st Century - 1857 AD to 2100 AD)
  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1857 AD to 2100 AD)
  • UNITED REFORMED CHURCH (19th Century to 21st Century - 1857 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • GRAVESTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. [Articles on the bid to save Mattishall's United Reformed Church from demolition].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. No proposals to demolish village chapel. 10 June.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Unpublished Document: Full Planning Permission.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: M. Langham-Lopez. 2013. Photographic Recording by M. Langham-Lopez at United Reformed Church, April 2013.. Digital (JPEG).
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S2>Monograph: Stell, C.. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. p 252.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service