Record Details

NHER Number:5776
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Rectory Cottage


A 16th century timber framed house, originally two cottages. It is one storey high with a dormered attic and a pantiled roof.The wing to the south was added in the 17th century.The building was entirely encased in brick in the 19th century. Inside, the drawing room has a plaster ceiling decorated with angels and Tudor roses.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 9600 9767
Map Sheet:TL99NE

Full description

Old Rectory Cottage.
An early 17th-century timber-framed house disguided in the early 19th-century.

16th century yeomans house with hall, service rooms, solar with plaster ceiling; 17th century wing, 19th century brick front.
Surveyed by H. Ashley for NMR 1968 (NCM card by E. B. Green).
Plaster ceiling refered to in article of 1906 in (S1),which states that it appeared to have been moved from a larger house.
Exterior only seen 15 October 1975, when brickwork cleaned and repointed. Diagonal chimneys have been rebuilt.
E. Rose (NAU).

(S2) dates building to early 17th century with ceiling being contemporary; describes mouldings of angels, Tudor roses etc. Rear wing given as later 17th century recased in 18th century brickwork; main façade 19th century.
E. Rose (NAU) 16 August 1983.

August 1983. Listed, Grade II.
Listing description:
2 cottages, now one. Early C17 and early C19. Timber frame entirely cased in brick in C19. Pantiled roof. L plan, originally 3 celled. One storey and dormer attic. Pantiled gabled entrance porch with decorated bargeboard. One 3-light leaded casement left and right with brick hoods on labels. Gabled roofs with 3 gabled dormers with bargeboards and leaded casements. Rebuilt stack at junction of ranges and similar stack at south gable. South wing later C17, recased in mid C18 with tumbling and burnt headers. Drawing room interior has plaster ceiling, now restored, comprising 2 Angels with spread wings, One with mitre and book, the other with a staff. 4 large roundels of fleur- de-lys and lotus leaves and 16 small modified Tudor roses complete decoration. Date probably mid C17.
Information from (S2).
H. Mellor (HES), 22 April 2016.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TL9597C.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 261.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Caston.
<S1>Archive: Bolingbroke Collection.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1076790.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service