Record Details

NHER Number:47784
Type of record:Building
Name:Urban District Council Offices, New Road

Summary

A probably late 18th century two storey mainly rendered building with a slate roof and mid 19th century alterations and additions, including a grey brick wing on the right.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2842 3022
Map Sheet:TG23SE
Parish:NORTH WALSHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Formerly The Cedane. Probably late 18th century, with mid 19th century alterations and additions, two storey, mainly rendered. Added grey brick wing on right. Central six-panel door with fielded upper panels in arched entrance with stone case with pilasters and segmental pediment, arched window at first floor above with archivolt and key. Three sash windows at first floor, now with centre glazing bars only and three-light mullion and transom casement in wing, left. Slate roof. Wing, right, of grey brick, first floor stone splay bay window on arches on columns, at ground floor, with foliate caps.
Number 1, Council Depot, Walls of Council Depot and Number 9 form a group.
P. Aldridge (NLA), 22 November 2006.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1750 AD to 2100 AD)
  • HOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1850 AD to 2100 AD)
  • LOCAL GOVERNMENT OFFICE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 626.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service