Record Details

NHER Number:44549
Type of record:Building
Name:Entrance gates at Barningham Hall

Summary

Early 19th century entrance gates, gate piers and a wall to the west of Barningham Hall. The brick piers are surmounted with a stone griffin holding a shield with the Paston Arms.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 14703 35412
Map Sheet:TG13NW
Parish:MATLASK, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

February 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Gateway piers, gates and wall. Early 19th century. Tall inner wall of red brick in Flemish bond with dog tooth cornice and moulded cap. Brick piers each surmounted by stone griffin holding shield with Paston Arms (5 fleur de lys, a chief indented). Heavily studded gate with many panels, said to come from Norwich gaol; iron fleur de lys spikes on top rail. Attached low walls to front dated 1849; stone balls at entrance to gateway sweep. Barningham Hall was built for Sir Edward Paston in 1612.
Information from (S1).
S. Spooner (NLA) 10 May 2006.

1996. Gutted by fire.
(S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 January 2007.

Monument Types

  • GATE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GATE PIER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1304570.

Related records

6569Part of: Barningham Hall (Building)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service