|Type of record:||Building|
This timber framed house appears to date to the late 16th century. A survey has suggested that it was once part of a medieval four bay open hall. It was floored in the 17th century. Inside the mantle beam bears ritual apotropaic marks. There are also salt shelves (or candle alcoves) at the rear of a chimney and evidence of a bread oven on the north side. It was fully restored between 1976 and 1978.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 08800 90369|
|Parish:||NEW BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Late 16th century house, restored 1976 to 1978. Timber frame with rendered wattle and daub infill. Open hall house, floored in the 17th century. Originally tie-beam roof, but the tie beams were cut in the 17th century to facilitate insertion of doors to inserted upper floor of hall.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 16 July 2004.
November 2003. Building survey.
The mantle beam bears ritual apotropaic Marian marks. There are salt shelves (or candle alcoves) at the rear of a chimney and evidence of a bread oven on the north side. It seems likely that Fairview was built as an open hall of two or three bays. At some stage the chimney was built, perhaps in the cross-passage position, and the hall floored. At a later stage the roof was raised and the upper chimney rebuilt with a first floor hearth. Unfortunately there is no dating evidence in this building. It may be that the whole range west of Burrage House was originally one property with a four bay open hall and a storeyed end, the present Senton. It would thus resemble Dial House and The Beams, both in King Street.
See (S2) and photographs in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 December 2004.
Previously NHER 9200 context 19.
(S3) describes these houses with adjoining Senton/Red Roof (NHER 40589).
The survey suggests that these three houses originally formed one property with a four bay open hall and a storeyed end (the present Senton). If so this was before 1562 when Senton/Red Roof was already in separate ownership. A house on the Fairview site is recorded as 'diverse tofts' in 1542 and a messuage had already been hived from it. In 1570 Henry Verbye purchased a part of the already detached Redroof/Senton east of the chimney described as a 'tenement with chamber on the same' and 'a small workshop'. This change must have involved internal refitting. Red Roof/Senton is described as as 'lately a shop' in 1614 and it was owned by a saddler, John Brown, from 1562. It does not seem to have been divided until after 1854. Earlier this property had acquired the western third of its eastern neighbour Burrage House either before 1542 or before 1489 to 1480. The gable end between may mark this subdivision.
M. Dennis (NLA), 10 May 2006.
- HALL HOUSE? (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 561. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077531. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2003. Fairview, King Street, New Buckenham, Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Longcroft, A (ed.). 2005. The Historic Buildings of New Buckenham. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 2. pp 160-163. |
|9200||Part of: New Buckenham, a medieval planned town (Monument)|
|40589||Related to: Senton and Red Roof, King Street (Building)|