|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Wesleyan Chapel|
The Wesleyan chapel was a single storey 19th century structure with a flint façade with brick dressings built in an unusual mixed Tudor-Gothic-Norman style. It went into disuse when the new chapel was built in Chapel Street. It seems to have been used later as a house. The building was demolished in 1985.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 08646 90334|
|Parish:||NEW BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Single storey, flint façade with brick string course, eaves and round-headed doorway. The chapel was disused when the new chapel was built in Chapel Street. It must be nineteenth century but is very unusual in its mixed Tudor-Gothic-Norman style. Evidence of it having been used as a house is shown by intrusive sash windows.
Visited by E. Rose (NLA) November 1976.
Rear section of building collapsed.
See photographs (S1) in file.
See full details of building in file.
E. Rose (NLA), November 1982.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 14th July 2004.
Previously NHER 9200 context 8.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Photograph: Rose, E.. 1982. CCB 18a-19a. |
|9200||Part of: New Buckenham, a medieval planned town (Monument)|
Find out more...