Record Details

NHER Number:3979
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Hall, Strumpshaw

Summary

This hall was built in 1646 for John Stubbe, but was heavily altered in the 18th century. It is built from flint and brick and has a central front door. The west return has 17th century diapered brickwork. There are extensive outbuildings to the northwest including a kitchen and stables. The hall also once possessed an icehouse, though this no longer survives.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3454 0651
Map Sheet:TG30NW
Parish:STRUMPSHAW, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Old Hall. Built 1646.

May 1975 and September 1979. Field Observation.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU).
Flint and flint; façade all flint, but much altered in 18th century. Ground floor of eight bays, each window with original pediment but now sashed; central sub-classical doorway. First floor has also eight bays with date plaque central. Top floor of seven windows, small and round-headed, the centre one twice as wide. Was the roof lifted at date of alterations? Traces of diaper work in west gable wall. Behind, good red brick 18th-/19th-century barns.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU). Information from record card (S1).
P. Watkins (HES), 14 January 2024.

Owners [1] confirm that roof was raised. Interior one room deep with stair beside chimney stacks at gable walls. They state that there is an internal kitchen with hall and parlour, but also that there was a detached kitchen. See local press article (S2).
Compiled by E Rose (NAU), 22 May 1981. Information from record card (S1).
P. Watkins (HES), 14 January 2024.

September 1982. Field Observation.
Third visit by E. Rose (NAU).
Blocked staircase windows in west gable wall. In rear (south) wall, one original (blocked) window amongst the Georgian windows and a vertical strip of brickwork in the wall is otherwise flint - removed stair turret? Extension at rear to full height, of red brick, two bays, blank or blocked arches occupy ground floor - c.1800. The detached kitchen mentioned above is in an 18th-century red brick outbuilding to west. It has oven, copper, channel across brick floor and larder or dairy - these fittings seem 19th century; it may have been for farm use. An Icehouse is noted by [1] (via [2]) as formerly standing at north of outbuildings complex - filled in c.1890 because flooded. Ice said to have come from Strumpshaw Broad, but there is a small pond by the site of the icehouse, of which nothing remains visible. See photo (S3).
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 10 September 1982. Information from record card (S1).
P. Watkins (HES), 14 January 2024.

Architects plans (S4) (1996) in file.

March 1985. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"Country house, dated 1646; built by John Stubbe. 18th-century alterations, including re-roofing and raising of eaves line. Flint with red brick dressings; smut pantile roof. Three storeys. Principal facade to north of nine bays, symmetrical. Sashes with glazing bars and architraves. Ground floor window openings pedimented; first and second floor openings with segmental heads. Central six-panelled door with classical doorcase. Central datestone 1646 between first floor windows. All second floor windows blind except for wider, centre tripartite sash with elliptical head and radiating glazing bars. Modillion eaves cornice. Coped and parapeted gables with internal chimney stacks. West gable retains remains of red brick diaper-work and line of earlier, steeper roof. One blocked staircase window. Attic casement with leaded glazing and segmental head. Later lean-to extensions to west and south. 18th-century red brick addition to south. 18th-century staircase with carved tread-ends and swept handrail. Some good late 17th-/early 18th-century detailing including fireplaces and ground floor internal doorways with semi-circular heads and classical detailing."
Information from (S5).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S5) for the current listing details.
P. Watkins (HES), 14 January 2024.

The service courtyard to the north-west of Old Hall was also listed Grade II in 1985 - this group of buildings and an associated boundary wall are now recorded separately as NHER 67892.
P. Watkins (HES), 14 January 2024.

Monument Types

  • BARN (17th Century to 18th Century - 1601 AD to 1800 AD)
  • ICEHOUSE (17th Century to 18th Century - 1601 AD to 1800 AD)
  • STABLE (17th Century to 18th Century - 1601 AD to 1800 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (17th Century to 18th Century - 1646 AD to 1800 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 30 NW 13 [2].
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 681.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1981. Building fashion. 2 May.
<S3>Photograph: BDF 9.
<S4>Drawing: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S5>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1372683.

Related records

67892Parent of: Service courtyard to north-west of Old Hall (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2026 Norfolk Historic Environment Service