Record Details

NHER Number:33511
Type of record:Monument
Name:War Memorial Park (The Oaks), North Walsham

Summary

A memorial park opened in 1949, containing a beech-hedged ornamental enclosure with a cherry tree lined walk to the town's war memorial. The park was once part of a very large estate which had a Great House (The Oaks), pleasure gardens, orchards, plantations, a hot house and an orangery. The Oaks was demolished in the 1930s and its site is now occupied by the town library, new housing and some commercial developments.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2860 3004
Map Sheet:TG23SE
Parish:NORTH WALSHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Norfolk Historic Gardens Survey (S1) grade two-star (regional importance).
Area purchased by Withers family in 1690. Road moved to west of mansion in 1790. Faden (S2) shows small park. 19th century documents referring to Great Park may suggest an earlier origin. Mansion rebuilt around 1809 with 329m (360 yards) of fruit tree walls, kitchen gardens, hot houses etc. Tree planting in park. Octagonal orangery constructed afterwards.

By 1843 Reverend Spurdens the antiquary was the owner. Much altered and extended to south up to 1843; new lodge and belt aloong west side.

By 1886 more fields taken in as pasture.
House (three bays, three storeys with pediment, single storey classical side wings) demolished in 1930. Part of grounds became war memorial park in 1949, part school playing fields, part built over.
County number applies only to open areas and gardens.
See survey (S1) for full details.
E. Rose (NLA), 11 March 1998.

Monument Types

  • GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ORANGERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Unpublished Document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume One. Norfolk Gardens Trust.
<S2>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service