Record Details

NHER Number:22906
Type of record:Building
Name:Tudor Cottage (or House)


A 16th century and later timber framed and rendered cottage, one and a half storeys high with a concrete tiled roof. Its original chimney stack is to the east, a later stack to the west. There are later extensions to the sides and rear. Inside, the original roof framework remains, and there is evidence for a service entrance and a central partition between the pantry and buttery to the west.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0185 0593
Map Sheet:TG00NW

Full description

February 1986. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Late 16th century and later. Rendered timber frame, concrete tile roof. Three cell house with gable stack and doors to vestigial screens passage. One and a half storeys. South façade with modern fenestration. Original stack to east, later stack to west. Later extensions.
Interior has two bay hall with bridging joist on shaped brackets. Evidence for service entrances and central partition between buttery and pantry. Original clasped purlin windbraced roof.
Information from (S1).

Report by A. Carter (S2) in file agrees with above but has more detail; building was hall and service only, no parlour, original end stack and upper floor wallbracing and arched braces to tiebeam. West extension ?18th century.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 September 1986.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 612.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077309.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Carter, A.. 1987. Building Survey.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service