Record Details

NHER Number:22728
Type of record:Building
Name:Post medieval summer house


This brick octagonal single storey summer house was built in 1765. Inside there is a single oval room with two conch-headed niches.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1486 3088
Map Sheet:TG13SW

Full description

Summer House. Location confirmed from (S1).
Dated 1765. Brick, octagonal hipped roof of black glazed pantiles. Octagonal, single storey. Upper brickwork renewed. South facing open doorway under arch; blind rectangular window above with date and TR. Opening to east, blind to west, projection to rear as chimney or buttress. Single oval room with two conch headed niches.
Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 9 July 1986.

Monument Types

  • GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Unpublished Contractor Report: Penn, K. 2008. Blickling Estate, An Archaeological and Historical Landscape Survey. NAU Archaeology. 1399.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 1st edition.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1304607.

Related records

12685Parent of: Manor House (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service