Record Details

NHER Number:21817
Type of record:Building
Name:Osbourn's Farm, Bedingham Green


A medieval hall house, converted to two storeys in about 1600. The conversion contains some unusual architectural features. It is possible that the site was once moated.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 2885 9267
Map Sheet:TM29SE

Full description

Medieval hall-house, converted c.1600 (1607 - deeds) in very unusual way with complete stack-bay cut through parlour end and attic room added on top supported by great curving posts. Modern additions.
See (S1) and (S2).
E. Rose (NAU) 21 October 1985.

December 2003.
GIS map shows two waterfilled ditches of some width delineating W end of house plot. May indicate a moated site. To the S and apparently on the line of one of these arms is a timber framed three stead barn, steads divided by tie-beams on convex arched braces. Walls with similar braces, but also V-bracing in places. (S3) suggest only one full height cart doorway, probably dating to the later 17th century and perhaps partly rebuilt in the 18th century.
See (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 12 December 2003.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 200.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: E. Rose. 1985. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050607.
<S3>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service