|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval to post medieval settlement and kiln|
This was the site of a medieval settlement associated with Hales Hall (NHER 1053). A number of glazed tiles and other glazed fragments have been found, suggesting that this was the site of a kiln supplying high quality and ornate architectural decoration to Hales Hall, probably during the late medieval and early post medieval periods. Fieldwalking has recovered prehistoric flints, Bronze Age, Iron Age and Roman pottery, and medieval and post medieval finds.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 3685 9624|
|Parish:||LODDON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1980 to 1982. Field northwest of Hales Hall. Finds from NARG fieldwalking.
Prehistoric flint tools, pot boilers.
Roman, medieval and post medieval sherds.
See list in file.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU) November 1980 to 1982.
E. Rose (NAU) 5 December 1980.
Some pottery reidentified as Iron Age and Bronze Age.
E. Rose (NAU) 24 February 1986.
(S1) records this as Site 13, and is discussed in some detail. The medieval concentration occurs in a strip parallel to the wood and this location suggests that the settlement was associated with Hales Hall. A number of late medieval to early post medieval glazed floor tiles have been found, as well as more unusual glazed fragments that suggest this was the site of a kiln supplying high quality and ornate architectural decoration to the Hall, perhaps during its elaborate construction in the late 15th century.
See (S1) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 19 May 2006
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- TILE KILN (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Undated)
- BRICK (Undated)
- BUTTON (Undated)
- FLOOR TILE (Undated)
- KEY (LOCKING) (Undated)
- KILN FURNITURE (Undated)
- LOCKING MECHANISM (Undated)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- NAIL (Undated)
- PADLOCK (Undated)
- ROOF TILE (Undated)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- VESSEL (Undated)
- WHETSTONE (Undated)
- WINDOW GLASS (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT BOILER (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Davison, A.. 1990. The Evolution of Settlement in Three Parishes in South-East Norfolk.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 49. p 37. |
|1053||Part of: Site of Hales Hall (Monument)|
Find out more...