|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The End House|
The End House is a timber-framed house of three cells and two storeys on cross-passage plan. It has a clay or timber chimneystack in a framed bay, and appears to date to the late 16th century. The east gable chimneystack was added in the 18th century, and it was converted to a farm building in the 19th century before being converted back to a house in the 20th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2254 0244|
|Parish:||STOKE HOLY CROSS, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
September 1988. Listed, Grade II.
Hall house. Early 16th century. Timber framed with brick east gable. Colourwashed lath and plaster infill. Roof of pantiles, black glazed to north. 2 storeys. South side has range of 20th century glazed doors to ground floor and four 20th century windows to first floor. Gabled roof. Brick south gable wall and short returns, laid in Flemish bond. Internal south gable end stack.
Interior. Studs remain exposed to cross passage leading to opposing blocked north door. Stairs inserted at north door site. Square bridging beams and joists. South end of house retains its open hall. This is very small and of late date and without an elaborate roof over it. Reduced in size in 17th century by insertion of a brick fireplace in east wall of south end. First Floor. At west end a 4-light diamond mullioned window looking north. A similar 5-light window is further east. Both have grooves for sliding shutters. Roof of tie beams, principals and 2 tiers purlins, the lower tier butted, the upper clasped. Cambered collars.
Information from (S1).
Timber framed house. Apparently not a hall-house as in (S1) but a two storey, three cell house on cross-passage plan but with a clay or timber stack in a framed bay, and dating to the late 16th century. East gable stack added in 17th century. Roof of uncertain date. Converted to farm building in 19th century and back to house in 20th century.
E. Rose (NLA), 17 January 2005.
October 2011. Survey
Timber-framed. Early 17th-century house originally of lobby entrance type (J). Narrow former stack bay replaced by gable -end stack in 18th century which included building the gable-end. First floor deliberately left without a first floor leaving the end bay open to the roof. Fine jowled principal posts. Evidence of diamond mullion windows. Arched braces formerly to all tie beams. Very fine roof of clasped purlins with cambered collars. The principal rafters are not reduced in the normal manner to allow the purlins to be added. Instead, small sections are cut out to allow the purlins to be slotted in. See photos and plans.
Adjacent is a 19th-century low timber-framed building with open sides. It was probably a drying shed for timber. The building is going to be reduced in length.
S. Heywood (HES), 10 May 2012
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD? to 2100 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD? to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 314. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1306410. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...