Record Details

NHER Number:13572
Type of record:Monument
Name:Norfolk Railway Acle Diversion (Lingwood and Acle stations)

Summary

The Norfolk Railway Acle Diversion was opened in 1883 by the Eastern Counties Railway. It had stations at Lingwood and Acle, and joins NHER 13571 just after Brandon, at the Breydon Junction. There are stops at Acle and Lingwood before rejoining NHER 13571 just outside Great Yarmouth. Acle station has a station master's house and a small signal cabin on the platform, but the buildings are largely disused. Lingwood station is similar without the signal box.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 4178 0891
Map Sheet:TG40NW
Parish:ACLE, BROADLAND, NORFOLK
BEIGHTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK
BRUNDALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK
GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK
HALVERGATE, BROADLAND, NORFOLK
STRUMPSHAW, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Built around 1883, still in use.
Breydon Junction, Acle, Lingwood.
Acle station has a station master's house on the platform and has embossed brick letters 'GER 1883', good metal spandrelled awnings with 'GER', but buildings are largely disused and part converted to boat building. Small signal cabin on platform. Lingwood station is similar without the signal box.

Press cutting in file.

Monument Types

  • RAILWAY (19th Century - 1883 AD to 1883 AD)
  • RAILWAY TRANSPORT SITE (19th Century - 1883 AD to 1883 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG 5008A; TG 5108AD.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1975-1977. [Articles on the sale and movement of Singing Kettle transport café].
---Monograph: Anderson, R. & Saunders. D.. 1999. Rediscovering Railways: Norfolk Past and Present.. March.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Change of station points way to success. 23 April.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2026 Norfolk Historic Environment Service