Record Details
| NHER Number: | 13245 |
|---|
| Type of record: | Building |
|---|
| Name: | Swainsthorpe Hall |
|---|
Summary
Swainsthorpe Hall was originally built in 1570, and although it was partially burnt down and rebuilt, the southeast corner is thought to be original. The main part of the house to the east is 17th century, though the south façade has been reconstructed at least twice, and the presence façade dates to around 1800. Inside is a fireplace dated to 1654, with arms of the Merchant Adventurers, and is thought to be a unique example of an all-plaster fireplace, reaching as high as the ceiling.
Images - none
Location
| Grid Reference: | TG 229 007 |
|---|
| Map Sheet: | TG20SW |
|---|
| Parish: | SWAINSTHORPE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK |
|---|
Full description
Originally of 1570, partially burnt down and rebuilt, but rear is original.
Information from NCM Bolingbroke Collection.
Information from record card (S1).
March 1979. Field Observation.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU).
Mid-17th-century dated fireplace. The 'rear' referred to is in fact the south-east corner, where part of the original building survives, one storey high with stepped gable, all in brick. It is paralleled by a copy of around 1890. The main higher part of the house to east is basically 17th century; stepped gable with small windows on east (but 19th-century steps added to stepped gable) and original, now blocked windows on north. The south façade has however been at least twice reconstructed, leaving various patches of brick; the present façade here is mostly around 1800, but with an original 17th-century clasping buttress at west end. The fireplace mentioned is dated 1654 with arms of Merchant Adventurers. According to owners the British Museum say is unique in being an all-plaster fireplace reaching as high as the ceiling. Some original beams; the fire destroyed a staircase running all through the house. 17th century-cellars with niches. Three chimneys, two of which rebuilt in recent times - western of these had six flues. Owner told writer he had been told that 'moat' at TG 2291 0065 was the site of the original hall, and that remains were visible thirty years ago; and that the ford across the river here was Roman. The 'moat' is an area of waterlogged ground at river level and in fact seems to be simply a carr.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), January 1979. Information from record cards (S1).
September 1988. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"Farmhouse. Early 17th century, much rebuilt [in] 18th century and 19th century. Brick with roofs of mixed pantiles. Western block on south survives of 17th century; English bond brickwork terminating in stepped gable with coping bricks. Three-light 19th-century casement to first floor above late 19th-century gabled extension. Gable end lit through three 20-century casements. In gable head the initials 'M.R.M'. To north of this block an identical 19th-century copy. East gable of main range also 17th century with a stepped gable, the stepping and internal stack rebuilt. Platband at first floor. South façade much rebuilt, principally in early 19th century. Two storeys and dormer attic. Panelled door left of centre under flat hood…Bell-based gabled roof with three hipped dormers fitted with casements. Ridge stack left of centre and partly external western gable end stack. Fire in 17th century destroyed most interior details. Plaster chimney piece to fireplace dated 1654 with arms of Merchant Adventurers."
Information from (S2).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S2) for the current listing details.
P. Watkins (HES), 26 November 2024.
A timber-framed barn dated as 18th century, with arched corner braces and arched braces to ties, was also listed Grade II in September 1988. This is now recorded separately as NHER 68872.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 16 February 1999. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 17 January 2025.
15 October 1993. NLA aerial photography (S3).
H. Clare (NLA), 21 February 2001.
May 2005. Building Survey.
Visit by E. Rose (NLA) established that this was probably a timber-framed house given brick gables and façade in the 17th century, the rear wall replaced in brick in two periods in 18th/19th century. The barn remains intact and has not been converted as wrongly thought.
See (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 16 May 2005.
Monument Types
- MOAT? (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- CELLAR (16th Century to 21st Century - 1570 AD? to 2100 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1570 AD? to 2100 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1570 AD? to 2100 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BARN (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD? to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status
Sources and further reading
| --- | Aerial Photograph: TG2200 A-E. |
| --- | Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 686. |
| <S1> | Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
| <S2> | Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373211. |
| <S3> | Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TG 2301E. |
| <S4> | Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records
| 68872 | Parent of: Post-medieval barn to south-west of Swainsthorpe Hall (Building) |
Find out more...