Record Details
| NHER Number: | 13237 |
|---|
| Type of record: | Monument |
|---|
| Name: | Site of Strumpshaw windmill |
|---|
Summary
Faden’s map of 1797 marks this as the site of a windmill. It stood on the highest land in the parish and was pulled down in 1916 after closing in 1908. The site was used for transmitting commercial telegraphs during 1803.
Images
Location
| Grid Reference: | TG 353 072 |
|---|
| Map Sheet: | TG30NE |
|---|
| Parish: | STRUMPSHAW, BROADLAND, NORFOLK |
|---|
Full description
Site of wind mill as marked on (S1) (roads since straightened). On highest ground in parish; used as signalling station in Napoleonic Wars. Pulled down 1916 (Bolingbroke Collection).
The mill was a ten-sided smock mill with double-shuttered Cubitt's sails. Although surviving to 1916, it had closed in 1908.
Newspaper cutting in file (S2).
E. Rose (NAU) 18 September 1981.
It was marked on (S3) - informant, March 1982.
(Strumpshaw windmill)
Reference (S4) notes that it was a commercial telegraph that was in use, not military as the above might imply, in 1803.
E. Rose (NLA) 11 April 1997.
Monument Types
- WINDMILL (18th Century to World War One - 1701 AD? to 1916 AD)
- SIGNAL STATION (19th Century - 1803 AD to 1803 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
| --- | Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
| --- | Secondary File: Secondary File. |
| <S1> | Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
| <S2> | Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1981. [Article on Strumpshaw Mill]. 17 September. |
| <S3> | Map: Bowen, E.. 1749. A Map of the County of Norfolk. |
| <S4> | Article in Serial: Fone, J. F. 1996. Signalling from Norwich to the Coast in the Napoleonic Period. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 356-361. p 360. |
Related records - none
Find out more...