Record Details
| NHER Number: | 10261 |
|---|
| Type of record: | Building |
|---|
| Name: | Strumpshaw Steam Engine House |
|---|
Summary
This pumping station is built from brick and incorporates pieces of high-quality ironwork, including Smithdale water gates and chimney cap. It was originally powered by a 1895 Marshall vertical steam engine before this was replaced with a Crossley horizontal oil engine. In the 1940s an electric motor was installed and the roof was replaced after becoming damaged in World War Two.
Images - none
Location
| Grid Reference: | TG 3407 0572 |
|---|
| Map Sheet: | TG30NW |
|---|
| Parish: | STRUMPSHAW, BROADLAND, NORFOLK |
|---|
Full description
Brick; good ironwork including Smithdale water gates and chimney cap.
Originally 1895 Marshall vertical steam engine, then Crossley horizontal oil engine. In 1940s electric motor installed; roof replaced after war damage.
Details from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society.
Information from record card (S1).
26 September 1979. Field Observation.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU).
Of mixed yellow and red brick; windows now blocked up and roof is of corrugated iron. Chimney now freestanding; ornate clampirons.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU). Information from record card (S1).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 14 January 2024.
Report on NCC survey (S1) in file.
According to (S2) the modern building is in fact one of the best preserved steam engine houses complete with chimney. Chimney is freestanding and leaning, modern engine inserted in house.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 September 1997.
This last paragraph previously under NHER 10356 and must have been a misprint in (S4).
E. Rose (NLA) 11 July 2005.
May 2005. Building Survey.
Condition survey undertaken as part of Broadland Flood Alleviation Project.
See report (S3) for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 10 March 2015.
Monument Types
- ENGINE HOUSE (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- PUMPING STATION (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
| --- | Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
| --- | Secondary File: Secondary File. |
| --- | Fiche: Exists. |
| <S1> | Unpublished Document: NCC. 1992. Strumpshaw Marsh Engine House (NCC survey). |
| <S2> | Unpublished Document: Knights, M.. Report for Broads Authority. |
| <S3> | Unpublished Report: Philpot, M. 2005. Built Heritage Condition Survey Report - BHCSR01. Strumpshaw Drainage Mill. Built Heritage Condition Survey Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...