Record Details

NHER Number:7695
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of St Mary's Church, Buxton with Lammas

Summary

The site of a medieval hospital and church, founded in the 13th century as a travellers' hospital. By 1535 it was reduced to just a chapel. This was abandoned in the second half of the 16th century when the village became deserted. The remaining foundations were noted in 1907, but nothing is to be seen today. Metal detecting before 1980 recovered a Saxon strap end, medieval buckles and a Papal bulla. Post medieval metal objects were also found.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2507 2182
Map Sheet:TG22SE
Parish:BUXTON WITH LAMMAS, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of medieval church.
Founded early in 13th century as a traveller's hospital; by 1535 only a chapel. Foundations seen 1907.
No trace in pasture field.
E. Rose (NAU), 19 January 1978.

Pre 1980. Metal detecting on church site under pasture.
Late Saxon strapend, bronze openwork, lower portion.
Medieval buckles, papal bulla, vessel fragments.
Post medieval metalwork.
For full details and drawing see list in file.
S. Margeson (NCM), 12 May 1980.

Hospital founded 1235 and alternatively said to have been on site of Great Hautbois castle, see NHER 7679.
E. Rose (NAU).

Founded at the head of the 'causey' in this parish.
It was licensed to have a chapel in 1257.
The survey of 1535 enters this house as the Chantry of the Blessed Mary de Atto Bosco, in Gt.Hautbois. By that date the hospital had apparently been reduced to a mere chapel.
Ordnance Survey Records.
R. J. Rickett (NAU), 21 June 1990.

Appropriate section from reference (S2) in file.

September-October 2008. Metal Detecting.
2 Medieval coins, 1 post-medieval jetton, medieval, medival/post- medieval & post- medieval metal objects.
See lists in file
A Rogerson (NLA) 6 November 2008

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • STRAP FITTING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • BELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BOOK FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BUCKLE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • VESSEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • VESSEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • VESSEL (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BROOCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BUCKLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CROTAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • JETTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SPUR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Buxton-with-Lammas.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Monograph: Page, W. (ed.). 1906. The Victoria History of Norfolk. The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Vol 2.
<S2>Publication: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service