|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of a former Second World War Auxiliary Units underground hide|
A former Second World War Auxiliary Units underground hide was allegedly located within Belmore Plantation off Plumstead Road East at the eastern outskirts of Thorpe St. Andrew. It was not visible on aerial photographs of the area.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2719 1040|
|Parish:||THORPE ST ANDREW, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
November 2008. Norfolk NMP.
The site of a former Second World War Auxiliary Units underground hide was allegedly located at approximately TG 2719 1040, within Belmore Plantation off Plumstead Road East at the eastern outskirts of Thorpe St. Andrew (NMR number TG 21 SE 28). According to an oral source the hide featured two entrances, three rooms with long connecting tunnels and a ventilation system through hollow tree stumps. In 2006 the condition of the underground hide was uncertain (S1) and it was not visible on aerial photographs of the area.
E. Bales (NMP), 10 November 2008.
The Coleshill House website describes the site as two adjacent shallow rectangular depressions in the ground within Belmore Plantation (S2).
R. Hoggett (HES), 16 April 2012.
- AUXILIARY HIDE (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Website: Council for British Archaeology. 2002. Defence of Britain database. http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/specColl/dob/index.cfm. |
|<S2>||Website: Coleshill House. Coleshill House: http://www.coleshillhouse.com/thorpe-st-andrew-auxiliary-unit-and-operational-base.php. |
|57841||Related to: World War Two auxiliary unit observation post (Monument)|