|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Multi-period finds and features, The Gables excavation|
An evaluation excavation in 1998 revealed a cremation of possible prehistoric date, prehistoric flint artefacts, a series of Roman field ditches, medieval quarry pits and 20th century features. In 2000 an excavation focused on the area immediatley around the cremation uncovered a 20th century gully. The excavation suggested that the cremation was probably an isolated example.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0466 2096|
|Parish:||BAWDESWELL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
January 1998. Evaluation in advance of development.
Medieval quarry pits, Roman ditches, prehistoric cremation found.
Bronze Age worked flint, Roman, medieval and post medieval sherds, Roman brick, medieval buckle (called book clasp in report).
Report (S1) and correspondence (S2) in file.
See also (S4).
E. Rose (NLA), 25 January 1999.
March 2000. Further excavation centred on the cremation.
Found only a modern gully.
Report (S3) in file.
See also (S5)
D. Gurney (NLA), 25 October 2000.
- CREMATION (excavated, Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- DITCH (excavated, Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FIELD SYSTEM (excavated, Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- QUARRY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GULLY (Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- BRICK (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Mill, P. & Fell, D.. 1999. Archaeological Project Services Report No. 29/99, Archaeological Evaluation of Land Adjacent to Old Reepham Road, Bawdeswell, Norfolk (34163BAD).. |
|<S2>||Correspondence: Lane, T., APS. 1999. Letter to A. Rogerson, (NLA). 4 June. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Taylor, G.. 2000. Archaeological Project Services Report No. 127/00, Archaeological Investigation at the Gables, Old Reepham Road, Bawdeswell, Norfolk (34163BAD).. |
|<S4>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2000. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1999. Norfolk Archaeology. XLIII Pt III pp 521-543. p 522. |
|<S5>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2001. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 2000. Norfolk Archaeology. XLIII Pt IV pp 707-728. p 708. |
Related records - none
Find out more...