Record Details

NHER Number:1738
Type of record:Monument
Name:St Mary's Friary, Burnham Norton Friary

Summary

The site of St Mary's Friary, the first Carmelite Friary to be established in Norfolk, this site was occupied by the friars in 1253. The remains of the gatehouse and other buildings remain standing, and the rest of the friary complex is visible as earthworks and foundations on the ground and on aerial photographs.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 8387 4281
Map Sheet:TF84SW
Parish:BURNHAM NORTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

The earliest Carmelite Friary in Norfolk, founded in 1241 on another site, see NHER 32740.
Moved here in 1253 and enlarged in 1353. Dissolved in 1538.
Decorated gatehouse, west end of church and part of the perimeter wall remain.
In the late 18th century, the church was in use as a farm building.
The gatehouse was partly rebuilt and re-roofed in the 19th century, and its original window tracery was lost in the 1940s.
A modern external staircase provides access to the top floor of the gatehouse.
Cropmarks.
Holy well.

1840.
Excavations revealed human remains.

1995. Earthwork Survey.
For plan and detailed description see report (S9). This site was also included in (S6).
P. Watkins (HES), 9 February 2015.

1995.
Small excavation revealed foundations and medieval sherds.
See (S1) and (S2) in file.

March 1995.
Section 17 Management Agreement signed 5 March 1995 for 5 years.
See copy in office file.
H. Paterson (A&E) 14 September 1999.

June 2001. Field under long ungrazed grass.
Regrowth of scrub and bramble has been cut.
Spoke to tenant [1] on telephone. He has sold his herd of cattle, but will continue to cut regrowth.
Letter written to [2] asking whether new tenant will be appointed, preferably with sheep grazing.
H. Paterson (A&E), 3 July 2001.

September 2002. Norfolk NMP.
(NGR amended from original TF 8385 4278).
The remains of medieval Carmelite Priory mapped as part of NMP from 1946 RAF aerial photographs (S3), CUCAP oblique aerial photographs from 1951 (S4) and NLA oblique aerial photographs from 1978 (S5). It is clear from the report that masonry exists above ground, but this distinction could not be made sufficiently from the aerial photograph evidence. It was not possible to differentiate between vegetation covered walls and those with protruding low walls, therefore the plan of the site was all mapped in the 'bank' layer.

The NMP mapping of the actual church remains provides much the same data as Brian Cushion's survey of 1995 (S6). The aerial photograph evidence does however offer new insights into the earthworks surrounding the church. The earthworks, to the east of the standing remains, suggests two platforms or terraces, with a slight causeway or hollow leading up in-between towards the church. These terraces join up with the main east to west bank, running from TF 8381 4272 to TF 8395 4273.

The aerial photograph evidence from a CUCAP oblique from 1951 (S4) suggests a possible continuation of the Friary buildings across the road where the school now stands. These consist of three angular parchmarks, which may indicate further buildings. In particular a rectangular parched area, running from TF 8380 4277 to TF 8377 4277, measuring 25m by 6m. A curvilinear earthwork bank is also visible to the north of the site, running from TF 8381 4292 to TF 8387 4288. This may have originally been linked with the earthwork that curves around the edge of the wooded area from TF 8382 4286 to TF 8390 4282. It is worth noting here that the photograph was very oblique and that the control was also very poor (S4).
S. Massey (NMP), 30 September 2002.

November 2002.
Foundations now masked in unkempt grass, with some regeneration of brambles, elder and nettles, following cessation of cattle grazing on the field. The tenant [1] will cut back the brambles and elder. It is hoped that a new agreement will be signed by the owners in spring 2003.
H. Paterson (A&E), 13 November 2002.

July 2003.
Earthworks and foundations masked in thick grass, with some regeneration of elder and bramble. This will be strimmed shortly under the terms of a Section 17 agreement.
H. Paterson (A&E), 9 July 2003.

November - December 2007. Auger survey.
The survey revealed a complex sequence of Flandrian sediments overlying a gently undulating pre-Flandrian surface of fissured chalk bedrock. The earliest deposits were peats forming in topographic depressions around an early Holocene palaeochannel with lateral channel migration resulting in these areas developing into fen/mires and clay deposits. The ridge of higher ground separating the two low-lying areas consists of sandy sediments and may represent a river levee between the two areas.
See (S7) for further details.
S. Howard (NLA), 15 December 2009.

August 2009.
Gatehouse and west end of church well maintained. Ivy is becoming established on the roadside wall and the east end of the church is very overgrown. The field is under medium-length grass.
D. Gurney (NLA), 20 August 2009.

September 2011.
New Section 17 agreement set up.
See (S8).
D. Robertson (HES), 28 September 2011.

Monument Types

  • BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FRIARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GATEHOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GATEHOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOLY WELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STRUCTURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TERRACED GROUND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument
  • Management Statement
  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF8342 A-P,AH-AK CUCAPFQ20.
---Graphic Material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..
---Newspaper Article: Dereham and Fakenham Times. 1985. Ancient monument in expert hands.. 12 April.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. Burnham Norton carmelite friary - picture.. 29 June.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Vandalism attacks at friary.. 17 September.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1997. Satanic drawings 'the work of kids'.. 26 September.
---Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1996. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1995. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 397-412. p 399.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N & Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South (2nd Ediiton). The Buildings of England.
---Thesis: Chadwick, S.. 1997. St Mary's Carmelite Friary at Burnham Norton..
---Photograph: St Mary's Friary, Burnham Norton. Print.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Burnham Norton.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Rolled Plan: Large Plan Exists.
---Unpublished Report: Cushion, B. 1995. Burnham Norton SMR1738. Earthwork Survey Report.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1978. Building Report..
<S2>Unpublished Document: English Heritage. 1995. Schedule Report.
<S3>Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1571 3024-5 07-JUN-1946 (Norfolk SMR TF 8343B, TF 8443A).
<S4>Oblique Aerial Photograph: CUCAP. 1951. NHER TF 8342ABK (CUCAP FQ20) 15-JUN-1951.
<S5>Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A.. 1978. SMR TF 8342D-E (AAF/161/21-2) 25-MAY-1978.
<S6>Monograph: Cushion, B. and Davison, A. 2003. Earthworks of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 104. p 133.
<S7>Unpublished Contractor Report: Verrill, L. and Druce, D. 2008. Burnham Overy Habitat Creation Scheme, Norfolk. Geoarchaeological investigation. Oxford Archaeology North. 811.
<S8>Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. 2011-2012. Norfolk Monuments Management Project Section 17 agreement.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service