Record Details

NHER Number:9853
Type of record:Building
Name:Caistor Old Hall

Summary

Caistor Old Hall stands on a medieval manorial site that was possibly moated. Local legend states that a Roman mosaic has been found here. The present building was built in 1612 and was altered with a grand and elaborate wooden staircase in 1647. Extensions were added around 1800 and in 1920. The 17th century dovecot has been converted into a house and the 19th century stables converted to farm buildings. A watching brief carried out here when the dovecot was converted found Roman fragments of pottery and roof tile and post medieval fragments of pottery. Metal detecting near the hall has found a Roman ligula and a Middle Saxon pin.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2326 0381
Map Sheet:TG20SW
Parish:CAISTOR ST EDMUND, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Medieval manorial site, possibly moated. Legend of Roman mosaic pavement found. Present mansion of 1612, altered with grand staircase in 1647, extremely elaborate woodwork. Additions around 1800 and 1920. Grade II* listed building.
17th century dovecot and stables converted to farm buildings 19th century. Grade II listed (dovecot only - rest delisted)
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 12 November 1992.

6 August 1993. NLA air photography.
Old Hall farm to be seen beyond Venta Roman town (NHER 9786).
H. Clare (NLA), 5 February 2001.

15 October 1993. NLA air photography.
Hall clearly visible.
H. Clare (NLA), 21 February 2001.

28 May 1994. NLA air photography.
Site of destruction of barn in scheduled area (barn part of Old Hall Farm).
H. Clare (NLA), 2 February 2001.

1994. Observation of service trenches dug during conversion of dovecot/barn to residential use.
Produced Roman and post medieval sherds and a tegula.
See (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 15 March 1995.

Before May 1996. Metal detecting at Old Hall Farm.
Roman: ligula fragment, long scoop with broken moulded handle. See (S3).
Middle Saxon: pin, flattened globular head with ring and dot decoration above and short collar, long straight shaft. Complete. See (S3).
Undated finds.
Identified by S. M. Margeson (NCM).
H. Geake (NLA), 15 September 1997.

November 1999.
Stables, granary and shelter sheds about 25m south west of the Old Hall delisted.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 30 January 2008.

Monument Types

  • TESSELLATED FLOOR (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOVECOTE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • TOILET ARTICLE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • PIN (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: HKX 16.
---Publication: Birkbeck. Old Norfolk Houses.
---Aerial Photograph: TG 2303/ APB-APD.
---Aerial Photograph: TG 2303/APS-AQA.
---Publication: Bryant.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TG 2203APF - APR; TG 2303AND - ANH; TG 2203AEN - AES.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 2303ASA - ASB.
---Serial: Pevsner, N.. Pevsner.
---Photograph: Photographs of Caistor Old Hall Farm, Caistor St. Edmond. Black & white.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
---Fiche: Exists.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Caistor st Edmund.
<S1>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1992. Building Report.. 30 November.
<S2>Unpublished document: Bates, S.. 1994. NAU Report No. 110. Report on Evaluation and Watching Brief, Old Hall Barn, Caistor St Edmund..
<S3>Photograph: I&RS. Finds Polaroid. Polaroid.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service