|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Baconsthorpe|
14th century church with some parts of the chancel dating back to the middle of the 13th century. Half of the tower fell in 1739 and was rebuilt in 1788. Further renovations and rebuilding was carried out between 1868 and 1869. The church contains the tombs of some members of the Heydon family.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1274 3686|
|Parish:||BACONSTHORPE, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Large amounts of ironbound conglomerate. Chancel early English with very fine piscina. Remainder of church basically 14th century but completely remodelled in Perpendicular period. Tower rebuilt in 18th and 19th centuries. Good collection of monuments and brasses.
See full report (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 November 1989.
May 2004. Observations when north aisle pews lifted.
See footnote to report (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 229 May 2004.
- CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOD SCREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FONT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- Xbell frame (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: 1989. Eastern Daily Press. 2 November. |
|---||Newspaper Article: 1992. Eastern Daily Press. 11 March. |
|---||Leaflet: Youngs, R.. 1987. St Mary's Church, Baconsthorpe.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1989. Building Report.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...