|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Ethelbert's Gate, The Close|
This impressive two storey flint and stone gateway dates to about 1316 and replaced an earlier gateway destroyed by fire in the riots of 1272. The upper chamber was originally used as a chapel but is now a classroom. The gateway was heavily restored in the early 19th century and again in the 20th century, when most of the stonework and carvings were replaced.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23399 08763|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Gateway to former chapel above, now used as a classroom.
Built in about 1316, with early 19th century restorations by W.Wilkins and 20th century work.
Flint and ashlar. Two storeys. Small door on left side to clockwise spiral stair. Two-centre moulded arch on attached columns with 20th century George and Dragon spandrels.
For further details see bibliography.
'On site of earlier gateway'. R.R. Clarke (NCM).
Removal of plaster showed that two stages of construction were present on inside of gate. The original flint wall appears to be pre 1272 riots and may be associated with early Norman walling on either side of gate.
E.B. Green (NCM).
1964. Repair to gate led to discovery of Norman stonework under 13th to 14th century repair after 1272 riot.
NCM 321.964. Caen stone block.
E.B. Green (NCM).
(S2) suggests builder was John Ramsey, possibly the architect of Cley next the Sea church. This source also draws attention to the unusual timber reinforcement buried inside the walls and floor. (pp 7-8)
Rose, E. (NLA), 26 February 2007.
For further details see file, and file NCM.
Scheduled momument consent granted concerning repairs to a collapsed 19th-century brick culvert. Repairs will include the excavation of a trench north of the culvert, removing the collapsed material and making good the void and cobbled roadway.
See (S3) for further details
H. White (NLA), 6 April 2009
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GATE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- Scheduled Monument
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2004. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 2003. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt III pp 573-588. p 582. |
|---||Article in serial: Whitingham, A. 1980. Gates of the Cathedral Close, Norwich. Archaeological Journal. Vol 137 p 316. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Publication: Wilcox, R. 1981. Timber and Iron Reinforcement in Early Buildings. p4. |
|<S2>||Article in monograph: Fawcett, R. 1996. The Influence of the Gothic Parts of the Cathedral on Church Building in Norfolk. Atherton, I. et al (eds.). pp 210-227. p 221. |
|<S3>||Scheduling record: DCMS. 2007. Scheduled Monument Consent. |
|Site 1906||Parent of: Ethelbert Gate (Monument)|
|Mon 1177||Parent of: St Ethelbert's Gate (Norman Gate) (Monument)|
|Mon 724||Parent of: St Ethelbert's Gate, The Close (Monument)|
|Site 1237||Parent of: St. Ethelbert's Gate, The Close (Monument)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
Find out more...