Record Details

NHER Number:379
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of St Paul's Hospital, Whitefriars

Summary

This is believed to be the site of St Paul's Hospital, also referred to as the Norman Hospital. It was founded in 1119 by Bishop Eborard, and fourteen poor men and women (changed after 1429 to fourteen women only). In 1565 it was granted to the City as almhouses. Apart from one section that housed twelve widows it was immediately converted to a workhouse (confirmed in 1571) and called the 'Bridewell'. After the establishment of the St Andrew's Bridewell in 1598 (see NHER 387) the property was leased out, with the exception of the part still occupied by the twelve widows.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2334 0929
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

The hospital was founded in 1119 by Bishop Eborard. It housed a procurator, master, governess and fourteen poor men and women (changed after 1429 to fourteen women only). In 1565 it was granted to the City as almhouses.
Apart from one section that housed twelve widows it was immediately converted to a workhouse (confirmed in 1571) and called the 'Bridewell'. After the establishment of the St Andrew's Bridewell in 1598 (see NHER 387) the property was leased out, with the exception of the part still occupied by the twelve widows.
The boundary of the property is taken from (S1).

Old photograph in file.

Monument Types

  • HOSPITAL (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1119 AD to 1565 AD)
  • WORKHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1565 AD to 1598 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Unknown. 1942.
---Unpublished document: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman.
<S2>Monograph: Saunders, H. W. 1939. The First Register of Norwich Cathedral Priory. Norfolk Record Society Publications. Vol XI.
<S3>Publication: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R. N. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. pp 328, 381.

Related records

387Parent of: Possible medieval flint rubble building, Whitefriars (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service