|Type of record:||Monument|
Walled courts and a mature lime avenue existed in 1784 suggesting that the planting of Quebec Park was done at the same time as the house was built in 1759. In 1791 roads were altered and a small 'lawn' or park with tree belts established. Between 1812 and 1820 heathland to the north was taken in and land west of road included. The park doubled in size between 1838/9 and 1884 when Gingerbread Cottage and a new home farm were also built. Some original walled gardens survived until early 20th century but most of the park has now been sold off.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 985 143|
|Parish:||DEREHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
(S1) states grade two star with regional importance.
Walled courts and a mature lime avenue existed in 1784 suggesting that the planting accompanied the house of 1759 and there may even have been an older layout (see NHER 2888). In 1791 roads altered and a small 'lawn' or park with tree belts established. Between 1812 and 1820 heathland to north was taken in and land west of the road included. Park doubled in size between 1838/9 and 1884. Northwest Lodge ('Gingerbread Cottage' remarkably built of carstone E. Rose (NLA)) added and new home farm. Some original walled gardens survived until early 20th century. Land sold off piecemeal in 1911 and by the end of 1912 over a thousand trees had been felled. Ornamental gardens reduced and in fact what is now parkland south of the hall was formerly under plough for a time. The legend that the plantations represent the pattern of troops at the Battle of Quebec is untrue; the trees follow pre-park boundaries except for a few small additions, and the original planting west of the road, now a golf course, has long since gone and its layout unknown. The county number omits those areas of the park built over between 1970 and 1997 but includes the area being developed in 1998 as the original trees are being allowed to remain.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 February 1998.
26 August 1997. NLA air photography.
Most of park area is visible. If any area of garden remains, it cannot be determined in these photographs.
H. Clare (NLA), 29 March 2001.
- AVENUE (Post Medieval - 1784 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- PARK (Post Medieval - 1791 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- WALLED GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1800 AD? to 1900 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1997. TF9814/Q - R. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume One. |
Related records - none
Find out more...