|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval watermill|
This is the site of a watermill. The mill has now been demolished and only one 18th century brick shed remains. This shed was probably a store building. A brick bridge still crosses the river at this point. The mill house dates to the 18th century and was refaced in the 19th century. The mill is marked as a corn mill on a map of 1588 and a flour mill on another dated to 1797.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6769 2510|
|Parish:||CASTLE RISING, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
June 1977. Visit.
Watermill. Demolished. One brick shed remains, apparently 18th century and probably a store building: now in ruins. Brick bridge still crosses river. Mill house seems 18th century, refaced 19th century.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 June 1977.
'Rising flour mill' on (S1). Rising Corn Mill on (S2).
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Map: 1588. Castle Rising Chase. |
Related records - none
Find out more...