Record Details

NHER Number:32074
Type of record:Building
Name:The Cock Inn (Cockers)

Summary

This two storey rendered building was probably a late 17th century single cell two storey dwelling with a west gable stack. The combination of timber framed end wall and brick return is unusual and may suggest that the end wall was always a partition to another house. Half of a lava millstone is set into the rear of the hearth.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9905 1325
Map Sheet:TF91SE
Parish:DEREHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

September 1996. Survey. The Cock Inn (Cockers).
On fringe of pre 19th century town, part of street frontage of north side.
Tall (rebuilt) stack against adjacent building to west. Two storeys, rendered facade. Interior of ground floor (bar) reveals that right hand (east) end is of late date, with 19th century fireplace; spine beam is plain and now abuts onto end of spine beam in western section, resting on post; east end therefore probably a later domestic building, incorporated. West spine beam has tongue stops; west end set in brick stack laid in English bond. Wide fireplace but bressumer is a more recent insertion. Half a lava millstone is set into the rear of the hearth. Recess to south of stack, called priest hole in (S1), is really a simple alcove that was later blocked up. The west wall has a timber frame above brickwork, the south wall has a brick return. The building is probably a late 17th century single cell two storey dwelling with west gable stack. Though the combination of timber framed end wall and brick return is unusual. (Was the end wall always a partition to another house?) The millstone is a very interesting feature.
E. Rose (NLA), 24 September 1996.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • MILLSTONE (Undated)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Newspaper Article: 1996. Dereham and Fakenham Times. 12 September.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service