|Type of record:||Find Spot|
An unusual Early Saxon brooch, a prehistoric flint flake, two fragments of early medieval pottery and a Roman coin were found by a metal detectorist in trenches for new foundations. The brooch may have been imported.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 73 34|
|Parish:||FRING, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Late 1991. Detecting spoil from foundation trenches. Bircham Road, south of former school.
Very unusual Early Saxon brooch, ?imported, (S1). To be photographed.
Also flint flake.
Two early medieval sherds.
One Roman coin (see form in file).
Identified by A. Rogerson (NLA) and J. A. Davies (NCM).
D. Gurney (NLA) 8 January 1992.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FLAKE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Illustration: White, S.. 1992. Drawing of an Early Saxon brooch.. Film. 2:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...