Record Details

NHER Number:26407
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of limekiln and chalk mines, Argyle Street/King Street

Summary

This is the approximate location of a medieval and post medieval limekiln and chalk mine. It was provided limestone for Cow Tower, then was sold in 1399 to the City by William Blakehommore. The City leased it to Richard Sotherton in 1562 and he was allowed to dig for chalk on the site, and this may be the origin of some of the Ber Street chalk tunnels. It is thought that it now lies underneath the buildings of Argyle Street.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 237 078
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Argyle Street/King Street.
Very approximate location of limekiln 'north of St Peter Southgate, south of Hildebrans Hospital, west of King Street and east of lands of Carrow'. Used to provide limestone for Cow Tower, then sold in 1399 to the City by William Blakehommore. The City leased it to Richard Sotherton in 1562 and he was allowed to dig for chalk on the site - perhaps the origin of some of the Ber Street chalk tunnels.
See (S1).
Now lies under buildings of Argyle Street.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 23 August 1993.

Monument Types

  • CHALK PIT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • DENE HOLE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LIME KILN (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Article in monograph: Ayers, B. 1990. Building a Fine City: The Provision of Flint, Mortar and Freestone in Medieval Norwich. Stone quarrying and building in England, AD 43-1525. Parsons, D. (ed). pp 217-227. p 222.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service