|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Bishops Gate, The Close|
Bishops Gate is one of the twelve gates and was built around 1436 as a gateway and porter's lodge. Constructued of flint and stone, this two storey structure has a large two-centre moulded arch with shield spandrels and a smaller two-centre pedestrian arch to right. Inside there is a brick built pointed barrel-vault undercroft with a stone doorway.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23493 09055|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Gateway and porter's lodge. Around 1436. Flint and stone, two storeys. Large two-centre moulded arch with shield
spandrels and smaller two-centre pedestrian arch to right. End buttresses. Central statue niche above arches with single flanking lights having cusped round heads. Remade crenellated parapet. Both doors with good tracery. Vaulted inside. Two-storey porter's lodge to west of gate with two-light arched casements having flat head and dripstone. Brick built pointed barrel-vault undercroft with stone doorway.
Information from Listed Buildings Register (S1).
See schedule in file.
- GATE (Medieval to Modern - 1436 AD to 2050 AD)
- LODGE (Medieval to Modern - 1436 AD to 2050 AD)
- UNDERCROFT (Medieval to Modern - 1436 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Scheduled Monument
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|Site 374||Parent of: Bishops Gate, The Close (Monument)|
|Mon 222||Parent of: Bishops Palace Gate,The Close (Gateway) (Monument)|
|Mon 223||Parent of: Bishops Palace Gate,The Close (Porter's Lodge) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Parent of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
|Site 803||Parent of: The Close (Monument)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
Find out more...