|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Guton deserted medieval settlement|
Blomefield refers to the deserted settlement of Guton, but its exact site is unknown.
Images - none
Exact site unknown.
'Guton was a considerable town and lordship at the time of the Domesday survey, though now depopulated, and included in Brandeston, and was wrote Gutheketuna', see (S1).
See in (S1), the portion of that chapter from p.198 onwards apparently referring to Guton manors and church is a mistake, it in fact refers to Bintree.
Site perhaps near present Guton Hall, rebuilt 1901, now derelict.
E. Rose (NAU) 15 May 1979.
Guton Hall was the estate of Sir John Fastolf in 1459.
Bishop Waynflete obtained the manor for Magdalen College, Oxford in 1483 and a deed box is still held there.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 September 2001.
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1808. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol VIII. p 195. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: 2000. Vernacular Architecture. Vol 31. p 96. |
Related records - none
Find out more...