|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of a watermill|
This is the site of a possible Saxon mill. Documentary sources record a mill here from 1588 and the shape of the parish boundary suggests it may have been here earlier in the Saxon period. The mill has been used for fulling, paper and corn. It was burnt down in 1722 and was rebuilt several times. It went out of use in 1845 and the present late 18th century or early 19th century buildings are now used as a house.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6949 2563|
|Parish:||CASTLE RISING, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
May 1977. Visit.
Water mill. Interestingly situated at the end of an arm of Castle Rising parish that extends up the river. Converted to private house, the brick arches over the river and most walls are original, probably late 18th to early 19th century. Millstone set up by gate. Many millstones also form path at rear.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 May 1977.
'Rising paper mill' on (S1). (S2) suggests shape of parish boundary indicates a Saxon mill on site. Fulling Mill on (S3) 'fulling mill converted to paper mill' 1695 deed. 1722 cornmillers of Castle Rising imprisoned in Norwich Castle for burning down this mill which had been used to grind corn instead of making paper (S4). Ruins sold five years later. (S5) quoting (S6) says mill rebuilt 1727, 1749, 1786, closed around 1845.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 April 1984.
As of 1980 the only remains of the watermill are the sluices.
W. Arnold (HES), 21 Febuary 2011
- WATERMILL (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FULLING MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MILLSTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Castle Rising History Group. 2010. The Ancient Borough of Castle Rising: from prehistory to the present day.. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Publication: Beresford & St. Joseph, J.K.S.. 1958. Medieval England. |
|<S3>||Map: 1588. Castle Rising Chase. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: 21 July 1722. Norwich Gazette. |
|<S5>||Article in serial: March 1984. NIAS Newsletter. |
|<S6>||Article in serial: Stoker, D. 1976. The Early History of Paper-making in Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt III pp 241-252. p 242. |
|<S7>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
Related records - none
Find out more...