Record Details

NHER Number:10364
Type of record:Building
Name:St Botolph's Church, Limpenhoe

Summary

This medieval church was largely rebuilt in 1881. The tower has two stages; the lower stage dates to the 15th century, whilst the stage above the level of the nave roof is 19th century in date. A few pieces of Roman architectural stone have been reused and incorporated into the nave walls. There is a 13th century stone coffin lid in the churchyard.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3952 0399
Map Sheet:TG30SE
Parish:CANTLEY, BROADLAND, NORFOLK
LIMPENHOE, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

(S1) records that wall paintings were discovered here in 19th century, and that the door handle is from a chest of gold discovered in Callow Pit. The same story as he records for Southwood church! (also Litcham, etc.).
The books, tapestry and bell from Southwood are here.
(S2) Plates 3 show a scissor truss roof here.
(S3) 1985 notes a 13th century lid in yard (itself listed Grade II).
E. Rose (NAU), 11 December 1985.

October 2001,
Dr J. Allen of Reading University notes the presence of reused Roman stone similar to that of which Reedham church is built. He notes a few pieces in the nave.
E. Rose (NLA), 18 October 2001.

August 2005.
Medieval core, rebuilt in 1881 by A.S. Hewitt. Flint with stone dressings and plain tile roof. West tower, north porch, nave, north vestry and chancel. Two stage tower contains 15th century brick and flushwork base course; tower 15th century to nave roof level and 19th century above. Gabled timber framed 19th century porch, with Perpendicular tracery. Three bay nave with reset 14th and 15th century windows. Blocked Norman south doorway. Three bay chancel with Decorated windows and priest's door. Interior mainly 19th century.
See (S1).
D. Robertson (NLA), 30 August 2005.

Before January 2009. Metal detecting.
Medieval and medieval/post-medieval pottery sherds.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 26 October 2009.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BOOK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TEXTILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG3903 A,B.
<S1>Serial: Bryant, T. H.. 1898-1915. The Churches of Norfolk.. Vols 1-19..
<S2>Monograph: Brandon, R. & J.A.. 1849. Open Timber Roofs of the Middle Ages. pl 3.
<S3>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service