|Type of record:||Building|
This grand house is in a Neo-Jacobean style with stepped gables. It mostly dates to 1885 and was built for the Fricklin family. Inside, there is some fine panelling. Faden's map of 1797 shows that the present Hall stands on the site of an older hall.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1960 9573|
|Parish:||TASBURGH, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
This grand house is in a Neo-Jacobean style with stepped gables. It mostly dates to 1885 and was built for the Fricklin family. Inside, there is some fine panelling. Faden's map of 1797 shows that the present Hall stands on the site of an older hall. 'Contains fine panelling' (S1) shows older hall on site.
E. Rose (NAU).
Press cutting (S2) in file.
The older core of the building is constructed from clay lump set on varying timber and masonry plinths. In the early 19th century it was owned or occupied by maltster Isaac West and towards the end of the century it was known as Malthouse Farm or Malt Office Farm. The name Tasburgh Grange was used from 1908. The brick casting with the Fickling family coat of arms is visible on both entrances gate pillars and the western gable of the hall. The fireplace in the entrance hall incorporates two old stone spandrel sections with a later central section and pilasters. Each of the spandrels has a terra cotta shield also bearing the coat of arms for the Pettus Family and the centre of the timber surround also has the Pettus coat of arms with the date 1672. Two wooden carved arched door-heads with flank the fireplace have two shields, one with the initial 'T' above another 'W.B' with the date 1603. The right-hand door-head also has two shields which have the merchant's mark and monogram of Sir Richard Gresham.
S. Howard (HES), 14 November 2011.
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1885 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM1597 B-F. |
|---||Serial: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B.. 1989. The Buildings of England. Norfolk 2: North-West and South.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 198. Eastern Daily Press. 18 March. |
|<S3>||Article in serial: Fiske, J.. 2011. The heraldry, marks and monograms at Tasburgh Grange, Norfolk.. The Norfolk Standard. Vol 3 (3rd series), Pt 9, pp 590-593. |
Related records - none
Find out more...