|Type of record:||Building|
Silfield Mill was built in 1850 and ceased working in 1911 when the works were removed to Wicklewood Mill. The sails were blown off in 1925, and after some time derelict it has now been converted for use as a private residence.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1281 0008|
|Parish:||WYMONDHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Windmill marked on Ordnance Survey map. Brick tower survives to full height, in poor condition. No cap.
Visited by E. Rose 4 June 1980.
Sails were blown off in 1925; had ceased working long before (S1). Known as Silfield Mill, it was this mill that ceased working 1911 and not site NHER 16659 as stated by (S1). Built 1850. Now converted to house.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 March 1982.
Millwright states that works were removed to Wicklewood Mill in 1911 which would fit above reference.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 February 1985.
Tarred tower remains in good condition as house. Seen only in passing 4 October 1998 by E. Rose (NLA).
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1850 AD to 2050 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1850 AD to 1911 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Agar. Wymondham Old and New. |
Related records - none
Find out more...