Record Details

NHER Number:8929
Type of record:Building
Name:Wicklewood Mill and Mill House

Summary

The tall brick tower mill here was restored in 1980-81. During this process the interior was refurbished and a new cap, fantail and sails were added. The mill was built in 1845 and last worked in 1941. Some of the mill's works came from a tower mill at Silfield in 1911, and the actual millstone itself was made from Peak stone - an unusual occurrence for a Norfolk mill.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0763 0264
Map Sheet:TG00SE
Parish:WICKLEWOOD, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Windmill.
Tall derelict brick tower mill with ruined cap but all four stocks remaining, and brake wheel, with traces of frame for fantail.
E. Rose (NAU) 6 December 1978.

Press cuttings (S2-S5) in file.

1980.
Under restoration. New interior, cap, fantail added. Sails added in 1981. Information from Norfolk County Council (See S6-S11).
Said to have been built 1845. Last worked 1941.
Informant states that 'swellings' on the windshaft now inserted show that this has really come from a post mill!
E. Rose (NAU) 20 June 1984.

However millwright who restored mill, states that 'works' (including windshaft?) came from tower mill at Silfield in 1911.
The millstone is a Peak stone unusual for Norfolk.
E. Rose (NAU) 8 February 1985.

Architects drawings (pre 1992) as large rolled plans (S16).
E. Rose (NAU).

Paraffin engine that powered mill 1972-1992 when no wind, returned to mill 2003.
See (S17) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 28 March 2003.

New sails installed on windmill, internal work still needs to be done in order for the mill to be fully functional. This was an important step since the sails had been removed for repairs of the cap and sails in 2005.
See (S20) for more details.
M Langham-Lopez (HES), 05 November 2012.

Monument Types

  • MILL HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1845 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1845 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 00 SE (M).
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1977. £12,500 plea to save windmill. 17 October. Various.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1978. Sails against the sky. 2 September.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1979. New life for Wicklewood Mill. 11 October.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1979. Bodylift for village giant. 12 September.
<S6>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. Frightening for spiders. 15 November.
<S7>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. More work on mill. 19 January.
<S8>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. To cap it all. 23 September.
<S9>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. New cap gives mill a head start. 13 November.
<S10>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1981. Windmill restored as a stately landmark. 8 May.
<S11>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1981. Trust brings windmill new life. 4 July.
<S12>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Windmill Help. 17 May.
<S13>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. 14 January.
<S14>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Proud Stand. 3 September.
<S15>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. A Farmer's Glory. 31 August.
<S16>Rolled Plan: Large Plan Exists.
<S17>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2003. Mill engine coming home. 27 March.
<S18>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Mill under restoration. 13 August.
<S19>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2006. Mill gets its cap back after year of renovation. 22 July.
<S20>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Historic mill a step closer to completer restoration. 24 October.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service