Record Details

NHER Number:8919
Type of record:Building
Name:Kimberley Hall or House

Summary

The current Kimberley Hall was built in by William Talman in 1712 for Sir John Wodeshouse, fourth baronet. It sits on top of the only hill for miles, away from the original medieval site of the previous hall (NHER 8918), from which some of the bricks of this hall originally came.

This large red brick mansion was enlarged in 1754 by Thomas Prowse, and altered in 1835 by Anthony Salvin. It is set within a large Park (NHER 30466) laid out by Capability Brown from 1762.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0904 0474
Map Sheet:TG00SE
Parish:KIMBERLEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
WYMONDHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

The current Kimberley Hall was built in by William Talman in 1712 for Sir John Wodeshouse, fourth baronet. It sits on top of the only hill for miles, away from the original medieval site of the previous hall (NHER 8918), from which some of the bricks of this hall originally came.

This large red brick mansion was enlarged in 1754 by Thomas Prowse, and altered in 1835 by Anthony Salvin. It is set within a large Park (NHER 30466) laid out by Capability Brown from 1762.

Great house by Talman 1712, extended by Prowse after 1754 and altered by Salvin 1835. Some bricks reused from previous hall (NHER 8918). See brief notes in file.
Visited E. Rose (NAU), 7 December 1978.

Card recompiled 15 January 1990.

Monument Types

  • COUNTRY HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1712 AD to 2050 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1712 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG0904 V-X; TG 0904 Y-AC.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A.. 1995. TG0904/AG,AH,AJ - AN,AP,AQ.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TG0904/AD - AF.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 0904AR - AT.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Wymondham.
<S1>Serial: Pevsner, N.. The Buildings of England..
<S2>Article in serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. p 190.

Related records

14296Parent of: Park Farm (Building)
30466Related to: Kimberley Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service