|Type of record:||Building|
The home of the Cubitt family, this is a red brick country house of 1748, two and a half storeys high with a black glazed pantile roof. Each side of the main hall building has five window bays, all with sash windows with a later bowed extension to the west. The south front has a decorated gable and an Ionic style doorway with pilasters supporting a plain entablature. Some alterations were carried out in about 1790, including the west bowed extension and the addition of the drawing room fireplace. Humphry Repton designed the hall's park to the south in 1792, and also added the flat horizontal mouldings between the storeys.
To the north are service wings of about 1868 and a separate Gothic style stable block with a clock and a date of 1884.
Inside the hall, the original entrance hall with fireplace and doors remain, along with an original (but relocated) stairway and a second one which is late 18th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3273 2905|
|Parish:||HONING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1748, altered by Sir John Soane in about 1790 and by Humphry Repton in 1792. Red brick, five by five bays, three storeys. Three bay pediment to south. Ionic doorway with pediment. Band between storeys added by Repton. Bow window to west. Original entrance hall with fireplace and doors. Drawing room fireplace by Soane. Two staircases, one original and one late 18th century. (S1).
(S1)'s exterior description is correct. Service wings to north, and a separate stable block with clock in poor Gothic style dated 1884.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 February 1981.
(S2) notes that service ranges are by R. W. Phipson 1868 to 70 and that the original 1748 staircase was relocated at that date. Stable block is listed grade II.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 August 1986.
Dr Wilson (Centre of East Anglian Studies) notes that the bow window is one of Soane's additions.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 May 1987.
This is odd, as T.Williamson (Centre of East Anglian Studies) in Norfolk County Council Inventory of Parks states that Soane's proposals were never carried out.
Architects plans and floor loading ratios (S3) in file.
26 August 1997. NLA air photography .
H. Clare (NLA), 29 Mar 2001.
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1997. TG3229/A - N; TG3228/F - P. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TG 3228Q - U. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Serial: Pevsner, N.. The Buildings of England.. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S3>||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...