|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of church and churchyard of St Peter Parmentergate|
In 1964 construction work took place on this area, which was previously occuped by the church of St John the Evangelist, later incorporated into the Greyfriars Precinct (NHER 373), and eventually united to St Peter Parmentergate. The work revealed a number of human skeletons, probably from the churchyard of St John the Evangelist, as well as Middle Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery sherds.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2340 0850|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Nos 33 to 41 King Street, St John's House.
Site of St John the Evangelist, later incorporated in Greyfriars site (NHER 373).
Parish united to Peter Parmentergate.
Sherd of Ipswich Ware .
Skeletons probably from graveyard of St John the Evangelist church.
Also many medieval and post medieval sherds.
See further details in file NCM.
E. B. Green (NCM).
Pottery drawing (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU).
A human jawbone was discovered during works to install new services within St John's House. This building lies on the site of St John Evangelist's in Conesford Church. The jawbone was found by workmen as a small trench was being dug within the southwest corner of the building. The fill from which the jawbone came had been recently disturbed, presumably during construction of a ground beam for the building in the 1970s. No undisturbed archaeological deposits were encountered. The jawbone presumably came from a burial within the confines of St John's which had been disturbed during original construction of St John's House if not before. The jawbone was reinterred in the trench.
See also site NHER 357.
A. Shelley (NAU), 15 March 2000.
- CEMETERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Jennings, S. 1981. Eighteen Centuries of Pottery from Norwich. East Anglian Archaeology. No 13. p 248. |
|---||Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part II. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol IV. p 102. |
|---||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. p 75. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Finds Illustration. |
|Mon 564||Parent of: St John the Evangelist Church (Monument)|
|Mon 565||Parent of: St John the Evangelist Churchyard (Monument)|
|373||Part of: Greyfriars' Precinct, Norwich (Monument)|
Find out more...