|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Letheringsett brewery and maltings|
An important 18th and 19th century brewery and maltings complex. The surviving buildings stand around a courtyard and include a malthouse, a building containing two malt kilns, a tun house, cart sheds and Glaven Cottage (the brewer's house). Sections of the brewhouse remain, although most of it was demolished following a fire in 1936. The complex had a waterwheel; this was located in a tunnel that passes under malthouse and the cart sheds. The brick and iron road bridge on the Holt to King's Lynn road was built as part of the complex in 1818.
|Grid Reference:||TG 0611 3880|
|Parish:||LETHERINGSETT WITH GLANDFORD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Fine industrial buildings of 1780, 1812 and 1827.
Bridge of cast iron and tunnel.
Maltings Grade II, Glaven Cottage (brewery clerk's house; Grade II), Tun House (barrel stores) Grade II, Bridge Grade II.
See (S2) in file. Press cutting (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 6 April 1990.
(S4) notes the very great importance of these buildings since the loss of the Mistley maltings in Essex.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 August 2003.
Main publication in detail is (S5).
E. Rose (NLA), 21 December 2004.
In 1749 there was a 'Brewing office, store, malthouse, 30 coomb steep, dwelling house' on the site.
The present buildings are arranged around the sides of an open yard.
Malthouse - brick, two storey. Restored after fire of 1827. Used for agricultural purposes during 20th century.
Glaven Cottage - two storeys. Used since 1792, datestone of 1870 probably refers to rebuild.
Lean-tos and steep tank, rendered in brick.
Maltkilns - large, parallel to main road and bridge. Gault brick and blind arcading. Hipped pantile roof. West elevation has evidence 1936 brewery fire. Two kilns inside, side by side but separated by a full height wall. Clock installed in 1937.
The cart sheds - two storey building. Ground floor cart shed, adjacent stabling.
Waterwheel - water from River Glaven passed through sluice and into a tunnel under malthouse, emerging into pond close by. Then under bridge and into tunnel under cartsheds and main road, past hydraulic ram chamber amd back to river. There was a waterwheel within the tunnel.
Brewhouse - L-shaped range. Nearly all demolished following fire of 1936. Had a turret clock mounted in a cupola.
Tunroom - ornamental façade of gault brick and blind arcading. Heavy construction - designed to keep contents at a steady temperature. About 8m tall internally. Dated 1814.
Information from (S5).
The bridge is dated 1818.
For further information see (S1).
D. Robertson (NLA), 6 April 2006.
- TUNNEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BARN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1750 AD to 2050 AD)
- BREWERY (Post Medieval to Modern - 1750 AD to 2050 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1750 AD to 2050 AD)
- MALT KILN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1750 AD to 2050 AD)
- PLAQUE (Post Medieval - 1814 AD to 1814 AD)
- STOREHOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1814 AD to 2050 AD)
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1818 AD to 2050 AD)
- PLAQUE (Post Medieval - 1870 AD to 1870 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report.. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. p 586. |
|---||Article in serial: Durst, D.. 1993. Letheringsett: Industrial Archaeology in a Rural Setting. Part I - Introduction.. NIAS Journal. Vol 5, No 3, pp 200-205. |
|---||Newspaper Article: 1991. Eastern Daily Press. 23 October. |
|---||Newspaper Article: 1996. Eastern Daily Press. 28 June. |
|---||Newspaper Article: 2000. Eastern Daily Press. 23 September. |
|---||Unpublished document: Patrick, A.. 1996. Letheringsett Brewery, Holt Road, Letheringsett, Norfolk (Brewery and Maltings Complex). |
|---||Correspondence: Correspondence regarding Letheringsett Maltings. |
|---||Unpublished document: North Norfolk Council: West Area Development Control Sub-Committee. 1997. Letheringsett Maltings. |
|---||Photograph: Royal Commission for Historic Monuments England. 1997. Brewery, Maltings and Associated Buildings, Holt Road, Letheringsett, NF. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S2>||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: 1987. Eastern Daily Press. 19 October. |
|<S4>||Article in serial: Patrick, A.. 2002. Mistley Maltings.. Essex Archaeology and History. Vol 33. pp 333-356. |
|<S5>||Article in serial: Dunst, D.. 2004. Letheringsett: Industrial Archaeology in a Rural Setting. Part 4: The Brewery.. NIAS Journal. Vol 7, no 4, pp 5-40. |
|MNO5811||Related to: Attached maltings (formerly used as brewery) The Street LETHERINGSETT (Revoked)|
|44223||Related to: Lily Pond (Monument)|
|MNO5810||Related to: Malt Kilns The Street LETHERINGSETT (Revoked)|
Find out more...